Adventures as a pretend attorney

Friday, June 8, 2007

Travailler

No, I didn't cave and bring my laptop to Virginia after all.

Instead, I'm blogging to you from my lovely host's computer. She is the Bride's next door neighbor, and she is most thoughtful and obliging. Her house is well-appointed and immaculate. She let me use her computer (duh) and help myself to breakfast after she and her husband left for work. She printed out directions to the train station so I can go pick up the Captain. She let me know what time she'd be back from work so all four of us (her, her husband, the Captain, and me) could go over to the wedding together. She laid out about a million towels for me to use.

There is just not enough to be said for good manners and good taste. Chapeau.

So, here I am in Crozet, VA, and what a trip it was to get here. Overnight flight from Cali to Dulles (four hours) , rush hour drive from Dulles to Georgetown (two hours), nap in Georgetown (two hours), cold shower in Georgetown (one nanosecond - the hot water just wasn't running), drive from Georgetown to Crozet (three hours). Then a rehearsal and a rehearsal dinner that I'm not really sure actually happened because I was functioning at 70% capacity. But I do remember the food being fantastic.

[Here's a fun and appropriate tidbit: the root for "travel" is the same as that for travailler, the French word for "to work." How about that.]

Today, I'm hanging out before I go pick up the Captain (I CANNOT WAIT) and head on over to the wedding. If the ceremony is any bit as loving and warm as the mere rehearsal and dinner last night, then I am in for some major good feelings. And crying.

No comments: