Adventures as a pretend attorney

Sunday, June 17, 2007

Three to tango

MapGrrrl and Boababa came to visit! MG and Boababa are friends from college, and I hadn't seen either of them in a couple years. MG was my partner in residential-counseling crime, and Boababa helped me swindle unsuspecting undergrads into volunteering for Habitat. MG was in town for a conference, and Boababa drove down from LA. We did the regular, catchy-up things like talk, eat, and drink, but then we danced.

MG and Boababa are both avid dancers. MG's gotten into swing dancing with her fiance, and Boababa's gotten into tango because...he wants a fiancee? Anyway, they found a studio where the lessons were free, so the three of us went to tango.

The class was taught by an elderly Asian couple, small in stature but large in personality. The other students in the class were two young couples and a woman by herself. The couples amused me because they obviously weren't there on account of the boyfriends. The boyfriends were very good sports, and they tried valiantly to learn the steps, but I couldn't stop thinking to myself, "Huh. I'd never make the Captain take tango lessons with me." [FN1]

After the class ended, we went to the studio's weekly tango party, where we showed off the three steps we just had been taught. It was tons of fun. Boababa might have crowded my feet here and there, and my shoes might just have been a tad inappropriate (open-toed sandals). But there's something just so enjoyable about dressing up for a party and making a total fool of yourself.

[FN1] He's just too tall. We'd look ridiculous trying to tango. Picture it. See? You're laughing.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am definitely laughing. But, honestly, the height differential is low on the list of "things that make them doing the tango together seem hilarious".

BTango said...

I'm jealous. The Captain gets this manly GQ nomme de plume. I get the nondescript Boababa. Honestly, I would have settled for Such a Mess.
Thanks for spending all that time with me. It was great hanging out with you, and a kick (ha!) dancing the night away.
-b